Institute of Democracy & Elections for Good Governance (IDEGG)
A wing of
State Election Commission, Maharashtra (SECM)
Institute of Democracy & Elections for Good Governance
India is a Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic, Republic, with a three-tier system of governance– National, Regional and Local.
The responsibility of conducting elections to the Central Government and the State Governments, i.e., Parliament and State Legislatures, was entrusted with the Election Commission of India (ECI) by the Constitution of India in 1950, while elections of the Local Self Governments (LSGs) continued with the respective State Governments.
Through the historic 73rd & 74th Amendments to the Constitution of India, the Local Self-Governments (LSGs), the third tier of Indian Democracy, were provided with their rightful place.
- Generate and disseminate knowledge for ‘Better elections for Good Governance.’
- Address emerging challenges like misuse of money and muscle power, evils of social media, lack awareness, voter apathy, etc.
- Develop a common repository of knowledge for good practices worldwide.
- Involve best persons/institutions/experts etc.
- To realise the gaps in research, knowledge, training & capacity building etc., in the elections to LSGs.
- To conduct Research and knowledge-oriented activity in the field of democracy and elections.